tisdag 19 juni 2012

leaving

It was around noon today, I think the clock on my Kawasaki said 12:02, that I left the British capital. After struggling through the usual traffic on the North Circular, I finally headed north. Soon I had left the M25 behind me. I will go back to London, as plans are right now, but only for a brief stop in mid-July to close my bank account and pay the last bills. That's it. I'm moving home. 

How do you feel about it, my friends ask me and I respond something non committal about mixed emotions. There has been so much practical to do, at work, tidying the flat etc, that I have had very little time to reflect.  But right now, on one of the longest days in the year, I sit on a rock in Whitby, North Yorkshire. I watch the pink northern night sky, the waves murmur to my right and I start to feel. 

There is so much going on in London and I know I have missed most of it and usually I like the hustle and bustle of great cities. But somehow London hasn't reached my heart. I've met those who look at me in amazement, when I tell them that I prefer my hometown, Stockholm. Will you not think its much too small? they wonder.  But I doubt that. I've been back and forth during my two years in London and Stockholm is big enough. And - in my mind - much prettier. 

 I will however miss the rest of the island. Coming to Britain I didn't really know what to expect, but exploring the country outside of London on bike has made up for some of my best travels ever. Devon with the moors, Wales and Snowdonia. The Lake District. Today I went on empty roads (Empty - take that, London) through the North York Moor. The landscape is black, to my left a setting sun, between my legs, an eager bike. Life doesn't get much better than this. 

And then, of course, I will miss my friends. 

 Making friends in a big city isn't the easiest. With my lack of personality it's even worse. To my surprise and joy I didn't have to eat alone when I had my last supper at a small, but friendly, Italian restaurant in Kew last Sunday. There was Jane Eyre, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, lord Essex, Toad, Rat, a mad woman (this time outside her attic), a dog and many more of the actor friends that I have had the pleasure to get to know during my stay. 

Now, actors can be tricky. There have been projects where everything has ended in a large "good riddance".  But not this time, not at all.

 I will not miss London, but I will miss them. I will miss you...

(this time a blog in English, after a suggestion from two friends. Sophie and Jon, this is for you)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar